Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Matter of Faith


"Look who's talking?" ...This was how I reacted one Sunday afternoon while listening to one of the priest's long and (technically pointless)homily. I was seated at the second to the last row at the back of a nearby church in Cebu, attending and doing my role as a Catholic to spend at least a day with Him in His house when the devil in me agin showed up as I heard a definitely "crazy" spiel. The main point of the sermon was FAITH and LIVING IN FAITH. In the truest sense of the word, faith is such a vague and an unexplainable matter and such a sensitive topic to discuss as well. The priest started his homily well enough to have caught my attention. He started by asking a question as to how do we live with our faith?... That gave me a little prick because honestly, most of the time I think I'm not living in faith,... if the Catholic standard is to be considered. Faith according to him (and according as well to a lot many vicars of the church and almost all Christian Living books I know of) is shown in action... yes, I would agree to that because I believe that how you live life in itself is a manifestation of your faith; if you will agree with me that faith is what you believe in be it religious or philosophical for as long as you believe in it and you live by it... that makes it your faith. I was struck though when he started to say things (odd things) that people do and detach himself from the fact that we all do evil things and his being a priest or a servant of God doesn't exempt him to be one of us. "I don't want YOU to live life in a crooked way... YOU should be like sheeps,...tamed and gentle" (and what would he be, I wonder?) He might not mean it like how I understood it, but the thing there is that, he above all of us there should know that we are all alike. We are all sinners and even if he is wearing that vest standing in front of us all speaking from the scriptures that I thought he understood the whole content well,... is also a sinner. It's okay to say the flaws of men, but to talk about it and not include yourself as flawed is like saying to the world "I"M LYING... NO ONE SHOULD BELIEVE ME"

Funny how there are people like that,... they thought they are pure because of a difference they have from the many. I myself am a Catholic,... I've spent years of education at a Catholic school... but that doesn't make me a devoted nor a perfect person and I know I will never be. I believe in God, but I also believe that there's always a devil in us. And more often than not, sometimes we live up with the devil even if we believe in a God who is good and pure. I can't explain where that God is but I'd like to think He's just around and wherever He goes the devil also exists...

No comments: